Thursday, April 5, 2012

An Australian I Spy Quilt Pattern


I purchased this pattern not so long ago from Rosemount The Patchwork Shop in Canberra, ACT.  The pattern is simpled titled, "I Spy Quilt" and is a design by Dianne Neumann and Tracey Scougall.  The Australian pattern is copyright 1998.
I think this must be one of the earliest uses of the term "I Spy" for a child's quilt. I often wonder who was the first person to call a quilt an I Spy (or Eye Spy), and if he or she realised that it would became a much loved genre of patchworkers.
Anyway, back to the pattern.  It's quite easy to make as long as you have a large supply of fabrics.  There are three different size pieces - 6.5 inch square, 3.5 inch square and 3.2 by 2 inch rectangle.  I decided to make a rainbow coloured quilt instead of the pictured colourwash.  There are 24 blocks in total, so I thought I would make each block in one colour (until I got bored and moved onto something else...)


I decided to start with orange.  I went through my orange scraps and cut them into one of the three sizes.  I never worry about cutting too many, the spares go into my Scrap User's boxes.  The block was very easy to piece.


I found another quilter who is keen on this pattern.  Have a look at Helen Gammon's list of quilts here, she's listed 73 quilts she's made and at least 26 are "I Spy Quilt"!  Wow, very impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment