Thursday, November 10, 2011

Two Blues and Borders

This is another quilt from 2009.  The pattern is a bit of an optical illusion.  The blocks look slighty staggered but are quite square - well, as square as my occasionally slapdash piecing allows.  I thought the pattern would work well with my I Spy scraps. I used two blues as you can see and with some quick strip piecing and lots of prints I put this top together. Everything was from the stash, so it's a free quilt.

 I put three borders on the finished top. I did the sides first - dark blue, random novelty prints, then another dark blue. When the sides were finished I did the same borders on each end. It's the first time I've sewn borders properly - you know, measure across the centre of the quilt, average the results, blah, blah, blah. I usually attach a border and cut off the excess. I did it properly because I was added three borders. 

Now when I do borders I spread the top out on the lounge room floor.  Instead of measuring the centre and then measuring the fabric for the border I just lay the border fabric across the middle of the quilt and cut it to match.  Much faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment