Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Talking Quilt

I bought a stack of old quilt magazines at a secondhand book sale. I was browsing through 'Country Quilts - Fall 1995' when I came across an article on 'The Talking Quilt'. It was an I Spy quilt made with 98 different novelty print charm squares. The author made square in a square blocks with each charm square, sashed with navy blue, and put the blocks on point with a wide border. It looked very nice, but the best part of the article was two pages of ideas for using charm squares.

Here's a few of the author's block ideas.   I used 6.5 inch charm squares that I sell at Two Bits Patches and made them up to 12 inch blocks.

Do you have a favourite pattern for a child's quilt? I'd love to hear your suggestions.


Cobblestones / 9 patch

Log Cabin / Pieced Star


Square in a Square / Antique Tile.

 

1 comment:

  1. I use 6.5" squares and 3.5" squares made into a Four Patch. Alternating.
    The 6" cut allows me to use fabrics with big prints on them while the 3.5" uses up all the smaller prints and lets me fussy cut smaller motifs around bigger ones.
    I love I Spy quilts and have made quite a few. I have a fairly respectable collection of 6.5" and 3.5" charms.
    I quite often throw in bright spotty,checked, striped and starry fabrics in the Four Patch blocks.
    Love all the different blocks you show.
    Going to use a few of them.
    I don't have any grandchildren but I always have 1 or 2 I Spys on the go for others kids.
    Keep up the good work.
    Cheers
    D.

    ReplyDelete