Thursday, March 8, 2012

Spinning Stars are Topped

A few weeks ago I shared some Spinning Star blocks.  When I had enough for a small quilt I spread them out to do some star gazing.
I really, really liked this layout but I saw two potential problems. Firstly, the thought of matching all those seams seemed like too much trouble.  Secondly, I only had 15 blocks and I wanted a bigger quilt top without making anymore.

One quilt I finished last year was made from orphan blocks with Friendship stars in the sashing.  All the fabric came from my stash; it was a challenge to find another print when the previous one ran out.  I liked the end result, this quilt lives with my daughter-in-law.*

So, I found some red fabric in the stash that was nice but had been around for too long.  I still had enough blue from the star blocks so I decided to make a red sashing with blue Friendship stars at each intersection.

Part way through the assembling process I realised that the friendship stars and the spinning stars look exactly the same - just put together differently.  I added an additional row to finish the blue stars.  I've chosen the fabric for the backing and I have the batting on hand, so there's another free quilt made from the stash.

*I have just discovered that I didn't take a photo of this one before I gave it away - panic!  I will have to photograph it in it's new home next time I visit.

1 comment: